Namaste. Assalaamu ‘Aleykum. Hola. Merhaba. Pryvit. Salut. Good day. Wagwan.
Welcome to Moth Smoke Lingers, my first foray into the blogosphere. Thanks for visiting! Stick around, I discuss a pretty eclectic bunch of topics so I’m sure something will catch your eye.
The title for my blog comes from one of my favorite books, Mohsin Hamid’s Moth Smoke. Primarily I chose this title because it rolls off the tongue splendidly (go on, try it), but also because the moth’s fatal fascination with the flame evokes admiration in me; the willingness to pursue an obsession, consequences be damned, is an attitude I will strive to imbibe with respect to my writing.
Some of the topics I touch upon include:
- Branding & Advertising: Classy campaigns, powerful ads/brands, ideas & musings, creativity,brandcrafting
- Languages- expressions, accents, concepts, Whorfianism, culture clashes, language learning, multilingualism, code-switching, how languages enrich interaction
- Book reviews, discussions about movies, music,TV shows, and games I’m into
- Dubai- opinions, anecdotes, analysis and Gonzo-style journalism about my hometown
- Sports & Fitness- football (the real, foot-using one), squash, cricket, skydiving, workout & nutrition
- Quotes- I hope to compile my favorite quotes from all over
- Talking Movies
The above is just a tentative list.What is paramount to me is that Moth Smoke Lingers becomes a dialogue- a rich discussion between the reader(s) and I, filled with grace, humor, mischief and meaning.